Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Only One Master

Being in college really helps to reveal to you what is important to people. College is all about a time in which you get to choose how and where to invest your time, what organizations you want to be a part of, which people you want to spend your time with, and what major you want to focus in on. 

One thing that I have constantly struggled with, especially since I arrived at Chapel Hill in the Fall of 2011, was trying to figure out "what I want to do with my life." It's a common dilemma that many college students face. Many come in "Undecided" and take different courses to figure out what it is they enjoy or what they picture themselves doing in the future. And, to be honest, it is actually kind of scary. Nothing was scarier than the day that it dawned on me that I was given four years to figure out what it was that I wanted to do with my life! 

Shameful to say, but while there are many factors that influenced my decision, there was ALWAYS one factor that weighed heavy on my mind: money. In our current economic state, it's every college student's biggest fear to choose a major that ends up not being able to get them a job. Or, something that I have found to be particularly true for many people that I know: many people desire an extremely comfortable lifestyle whenever they get out into "the real world." 

While I do believe that individuals need to be practical in the choices they make concerning the future, there is a verse of Scripture that came to my attention in my Bible study last week that I found to be relevant: 
Matthew 6:24 says: "No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money." 

Do I want my slice of the American Dream? Do I want my huge house, with a nice car in the driveway? Honestly, yes. However, the realization that I had to come to was that I had one Master. I can't claim to be a follower of Christ, but then reserve a part of my heart for my love of having my ideal lifestyle and economic status one day. While those things would be nice, they hold no eternal value. We need to be investing our life, time, and resources to things that are lasting (From Experiencing God).

If you desire to be in the middle of God's will, He is going to bless your life. You may not be living in a mansion in Beverly Hills, but you will have great joy and satisfaction in knowing that you are living the life that God has called you to live.     




No comments:

Post a Comment