Friday, September 6, 2013

How About a Little Modesty?

Well, first and foremost, you should know that this post is probably going to be more relatable if you are a female. Normally I would not want to "discriminate", but, as a female,  there is something that I feel like I need to say!

So, I have just finished up my third week of school. It's now the first week of September. Autumn weather has not yet settled in. If you were to close your eyes, you would probably guess that we were still in the middle of the month of June. Or, to put this in more blatant terms: It is still pretty hot outside! Yesterday was a perfect example!: I'm not going to lie, I kind of broke a sweat on my walks to class.

That being said, this hot weather has apparently given females to have an open invitation to dress....pretty much however they want to. And, the sad thing is, our society thinks that this is totally okay!

So, i just have to go ahead and say it: it is distracting! And remember, this is coming from a girl's perspective...God only knows how distracting it must be for all the males out there! But, I guess that is kind of the point? Our society feeds us this idea that we have to be able to catch a guy's attention. Or that we are "liberated women"...which means we can dress or act however it is that we want.

I'm here to tell you that it doesn't have to be that way. Actually, I'll take it a step further and say that it's not supposed to be that way.

1 Timothy 2:9 says: "I also want the women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, adorning themselves, not with elaborate hairstyles and gold or pearls or costly attire."

Modesty. Decency. Propriety.

Society can feed you all the lies it wants to about what it means to be "beautiful" or what needs to be done or worn to "keep a guy around." I'm here to tell you that we should protect ourselves. We are more than that: we are children of God. We are not meant to be stumbling blocks for the males that surround us. We are not meant to allow for ungodly thoughts to be sparked. We are not meant to disrespect ourselves and our brothers in Christ.

So, to all the females out there, I would like to say this: you are beautiful. You do not need approval from guys to feel that way. One day, if according to God's will, you will find a guy that loves you for exactly who you are...and he is going to respect that you chose to be modest. God loves you....and that's the ONLY approval that you will ever need.



No comments:

Post a Comment